Loading...
Crime

Baby Dies After Being Left In Car By Grandparents [VIDEO]

An 11-month old infant died after being left alone in a hot car by his grandparents for 2 hours.

Walker County Sheriff, Steve Wilson told CNN, the baby’s family was returning from church with his relatives, which included the baby’s grandparents Kyle and Meta Hendershot along with their adult daughter and another grandchild.

123


Loading...



When they returned home at 3:00 p.m., no one brought baby Jaxon inside the house from the Toyota SUV. Baby Jaxon’s mother Mandie Hendershot, who works overnight as a nurse, woke up and asked for her son. It was when the grandparents realize their grave mistake.

The mother who lives I an apartment connected to the grandparent’s home went outside to find her son. The family discovered baby Jaxon in the car and called 911 at 5:21 p.m. Despite attempts by the mother and then first responders to revive the child with CPR, he was later declared dead at the same hospital his mother works at.

Around 3:00 p.m, the sweltering northwest Georgia heat hit 90 degrees. In those conditions, Wilson said, “temperature in a closed vehicle can reach as high as 131 to 172 degrees in as little as 15 minutes.”

“It appears that there were other things on their mind,” Wilson continued. “There was a lack of communication within the three adults. They assumed that one of the others had brought in the child and laid him down. They didn’t communicate who would get the child.”

Early indications are that the boy’s death was accidental, “but we are keeping an open mind,” Wilson told CNN. No charges have been filed, but the death is being investigated,” he added.

Following her son’s death, Mandie Hendershot wrote the following message on Facebook:

“My beautiful, happy, healthy golden haired, blue-eyed angel baby that I carried for nine months and labored for 23 hours to bring into the world is gone. My mind is reeling with this horror, I can’t get it to stop from the most feared of all nightmares for every parent. My eleven month and eight day old infant is dead.”

She also wrote that she does not blame her parents for their tragic mistake: “These are the grandparents that watched him roll over, sit up, crawl and pull himself up for the first time. … What happened was terrible; there is no argument for that. But who of us hasn’t made a mistake, such a horrible mistake that we thought nobody else could forgive it?”

The infant was the 19th child to die in the United States in 2015 because of being left inside a hot car, according to the Department of Meteorology & Climate Science at San Jose State University in California.

 Sources:
– edition.cnn.com
– www.nydailynews.com




To Top