Islam

Over 100 Killed In Suicide Terror Attack

Just one week after the United States dropped the first MOAB on ISIS terrorists in Afghanistan, official sources said today that more than 100 Afghan soldiers have been killed or wounded during an attack on their base by Taliban forces. The news of the deaths came directly from the Defense Ministry and represents one of the biggest body counts in recent months.

Sources said the attack lasted several hours and only ended when two of the attackers detonated suicide bombs killing themselves and seven others, according to a ministry statement. US military estimates had earlier placed the number of dead at least 50, while anonymous officials cited by Reuters said as many as 140 soldiers may have been killed.

taliban

The Taliban used subterfuge to gain entrance to the base in launching the attack according to the ministry. They disguised themselves as government troops and used military vehicles to talk their way into the 209th Corps base in the northern Balkh province. Once on the base, they opened fire on the soldiers as they were eating dinner or leaving a mosque after Friday prayers. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which was one of the deadliest in recent years.

More than 15 years ago, the US led a coalition which overthrew the fundamentalist Taliban government after they refused to hand over Osama bin-Lauden who had masterminded the 911 attacks on New York and Washington D.C. Since that time the country has been locked in bloody fighting, with the US-backed government in Kabul unable to take control of the country’s entire territory.

Fighting has increased in recent years due mostly to the decision of the cowardly Obama administration to withdraw most us troops and place the remaining ones in a training and support role. The Taliban has launched several offensive campaigns since foreign troop presence was reduced in Afghanistan in 2014. It is estimated to be in control of roughly one third of the country.

To Top