Looks like the State Department is trying to make the best of a tough situation and has found money to recall most of their furloughed workers, both here and overseas.
FOX NEWS – The State Department announced Thursday that it has found funding to recall most of its furloughed employees who have gone without pay since the start of the government shutdown last month.
In a statement posted on the State Department’s website, Deputy Under Secretary for Management Bill Todd said the government is making additional funding available to pay the salaries of employees and expects most employees to be back at work starting Jan. 22, with overseas workers starting back January 20.
“As a national security agency, it is imperative that the Department of State carries out its mission,” Todd said in his statement. “We are best positioned to do so with fully staffed embassies, consulates, and domestic offices.”
He added: “Recognizing the increasing hardship to employees caused by the ongoing lapse in appropriations, the Department is taking steps to make additional funds available to pay employee salaries.”
Todd, however, warned that while employees will receive their salaries, “bureaus and posts are expected to adhere to strict budget constraints with regard to new spending for contracts, travel, and other needs.”
Well that’s good new for State Department employees. The IRS employees that were recalled aren’t being paid until the shutdown is over.