There are two trains of thoughts when it comes to spiders in the home. One is that they kill all the other insects and aside from cleaning a few cobwebs here and there, they cause no trouble. The second is “EEK!! There’s a spider!” That attitude usually belongs to women and liberal men. Many people do not like using pesticides on anything, let alone spiders where the chemicals are released inside the home. Here are 10 ways to eliminate spiders without the use of chemicals:
1. Peppermint essential oil, dishwashing liquid. Add 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid, and 1 tablespoon peppermint essential oil to a spray bottle. Shake and spray. ehowhome reminds us this formula is a spider repellent, not a spider killer.
2. Cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon around the perimeter of your house to prevent spiders from coming inside, as recommended by Common Sense Homestead.
3. Minty cotton balls. Dip cotton balls in mint essential oil and place them underneath or outside your home, says Common Sense Homestead.
4. Chestnuts. Common Sense Homestead recommends keeping chestnuts on your window sill to deter spiders.
5. Salt water. Common Sense Homestead says salt water is an excellent spider killer. Spray a solution made from 1 gallon of warm water and 1 ounce salt directly onto spiders and spider nests.
6. White vinegar. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and water and use the mixture to spray cracks and crannies, says Natural Living Ideas.
7. Citrus peel. Rub citrus peels on baseboards, windowsills, and bookshelves to prevent spiders from coming in the house. Natural Living Ideas says spiders detest citrus with such fervor, even lemon scented furniture polish will do the trick.
8. Cedar hangers. If you find spiders lurking in your closet, switch to cedar hangers, as suggested by Natural Living Ideas.
9. Tobacco. Spiders know to stay away from tobacco. To make an effective spider repellent, Oh Simply suggests mixing tobacco with water and spraying it on home entry points.
10. Coconut oil. It really does cure everything, doesn’t it? Oh Simply says mixing 1 part coconut oil with 2 parts water can prevent spiders from intruding.