UPDATE: Police have confirmed that there were three shooters, two of whom are under arrest. Witnesses say that as they started shooting, they yelled “Allahu Akbar”.
— Truth Bombers (@Truth_Bombers) January 30, 2017
There are now 6 dead and 8 wounded.
At least five people have been killed after gunmen opened fire in a mosque in on Sunday, the mosque’s president told reporters. Witnesses told Reuters there were three gunmen involved and 40 worshipers were inside at the time of the shooting.
Two suspects have been arrested in the ongoing police operation, according to a police spokesman. An investigation into the attack has been launched.
The shooting took place at Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec (Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center) on Sainte-Foy Street. There’s been conflicting reports over the number of perpetrators involved in the attack.
Le Soleil reported there were at least two shooters and one of them was wielding a AK-47 assault rifle. One of the attackers is believed to be a 27-year-old man.
Up to three shooters were seen by a witness cited by Reuters.
Reports of “many” people injured have appeared in the media.
Police have sealed off traffic in the area and have so far declined to comment.
A few dozen people were inside the Islamic cultural centre of Quebec in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood when the shooting began just after 8 p.m.
The director of the centre said at least five people were killed, but that information has not been confirmed by police.
Two suspects have been arrested.
A large perimeter has been set up around the mosque.
Last June, during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, a pig’s head was left on the doorstep of the mosque.