Man Loses Leg After Contracting A Flesh Eating Virus

A Fort Myers man lost his leg after he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria during a walk along the beach.

<-- DH Below Content -->

Zach Mody tells NBC2 News in Fort Myers that he ended up in the hospital after going in the water off Fort Myers Beach with a minor cut on his foot about a month ago.

“The water had just splashed over my foot and I didn’t think anything about it,” Mody told NBC2 News. “I would have never thought in a million years this would have happened to me.”

Mody says he noticed a problem right away. He says his foot started bothering him and he had a little red spot on it.
Only 12 hours later, the pain became so unbearable that he checked himself into the hospital where the infection spread quickly up his leg.

After just 24 hours, doctors had to amputate Mody’s leg in order to save his life.



To Top