A mother is facing charges after a 2-year old boy was found unresponsive and badly bruised at their filthy home filled with dead animals.
Savanah V. Morgan, 25-years old, is facing numerous charges after her 2-year old son was found unresponsive with bruises all over the young boy’s body at their home filled with soiled diapers, broken glass, and 90 dead or dying animals, including tarantulas, rats, snakes, bearded dragons, and emaciated dogs.
Officers were called to the home on Martin Lake Road on Tuesday night after the mother called 911 when she discovered the boy was not breathing. The officers arrived and find the 2-year old boy unresponsive and with bruises all over his body.
The boy was airlifted to the hospital with a critical condition.
According to Lt. Scott Franklin, the mother originally told the officers that the boy had choked after eating potato chips but later changed her story and claimed that she dropped the child.
Doctors said that the child was suffering from bleeding in the brain and retinal issues in addition to the multiple bruising. Doctors said the child may have been dropped, but his injuries were too severe for that to be all that happened.
Morgan, who is also 8 months pregnant, has been charged with child abuse, as well as three counts each of child neglect. She’s also charged with animal cruelty. Her bond has been set at $85,000. Her next court date is scheduled for August.
Morgan’s two other children ages 1 and 2 have been placed in the custody of the state Department of Social Services (DSS).
The judge has ordered that Morgan have no contact with the children without DSS approval if she’s released on bond. The judge also ordered that she not own any animal until the case is resolved.
Deputies said the boy’s father is being cooperative with investigators but could face charges.